- Low Power: Operates in sleep mode; activates to send scheduled messages.
- Repeater Mode: Type 3 ATONIS can function as low-powered AIS simplex repeater, while still functioning in AIS AtoN station mode if needed.
- Hardware Flexibility: Port options permit user to connect to variety of sensors without upgrading to new hardware.
- Message Flexibility: In addition to sending normal Messages 21, 6, 8 and 14 ATONIS can automatically transmit Message 14 (Failing AtoN) when AtoN is off-station.
- Software Enhancement: Unit has processing capability to allow customer-specific software enhancements, such as automatic activation of lights when vessels come within pre-set range; and storing record of passing ships for later downloading.